How can we live out our baptism in our day to day life? Here are five helpful ways!
- When you wake, leave for the day, return home, or before falling asleep, make the sign of the cross (on yourself or a loved one) as a remembrance of baptism and pray: I give thanks to you, Jesus, that you have made (name) a child of God forever. Amen. (From Washed and Welcome, a resource of Augsburg Fortress.)
- During your shower or bath time, reflect on how your baptism has washed you clean, making you new in Christ every day.
- Change your phone’s lock screen to one of the operating system’s stock water photos. When you look at it, remember you are baptized.
- If you or your child has a baptismal chest, given at baptism at Good Shepherd, keep it out either in a bedroom or other well-trafficked space in the house. Crosses, a Christ candle, or other Christian symbols around the house also provide great reminders that you are to “let your light so shine before others that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:16).
- Serve a person in need. As you do, make the connection in your mind and heart between your loving outreach to another and Christ’s welcome to you through baptismal grace. (From Washed and Welcome, a resource of Augsburg Fortress.)
Written by Andrew Buck, Director of Cross-Generational Ministries. He is passionate about equipping youth, parents, and families to live out their faith in the home and the world. For additional ideas or support, contact Andrew at email@example.com